Job Title: Intern – Supply Chain Management
Location: Williamsport, MD
Schedule: Summer 2017 40 hours per week
• Reports to General Manager daily reporting to Human Resources Manager, Warehouse Manager or Transportation Manager.
• Executes work under direct supervision 80% of the time, works independently setting work schedule priorities 20% of the time.
• Does not supervise others.
This internship position is responsible for training, learning and working with the assigned department in the Williamsport, MD facility and other departments to gain understanding of workflows, processes, and how this department interacts with and/ or impacts other parts of the business. The position will be responsible for a leadership opportunity on at least one project within the transportation safety department involving internal and external partner and Dot senior management interaction. The assigned project(s) may involve responsibility for database training, data entry, testing, reporting and analysis of information in addition to supporting multiple personnel by preparing reports and spreadsheets using various software and AS400 programs. Proficient Microsoft Office skills (Excel, Access, Word, and PowerPoint) skills are necessary. In addition, time will be spent managing or contributing to other projects some projects will be one-time activities other projects will be ongoing with varying degrees of frequency. Frequent professional communication and professional interaction with internal and external customers to complete jobs is required. By the end of the internship tenure, the intern will have completed a minimum of one assigned project for review and possible implementation within the Williamsport, MD distribution center in addition to gaining valuable professional work experience, knowledge and skills.
• Training and job-shadowing within the Administration and Operations areas and other departments to gain understanding of workflows and business needs at the distribution center and across the company.
• Problem definition, research, data collection, analysis to determine best processes and methods for problem-solving.
• Leadership/ ownership of assigned project(s).
• Create, input, format and update a variety of projects and reports.
• Regular and clear communication with manager and internal and external team members on status of assigned project(s).
• Distribute timely and accurate work.
• Maintain files and generate status information.
• Show professionalism in all skills.
• Present project information at the culmination of the internship to communicate research, findings, analysis and any recommendations.
• Applies lean tools and thinking to identify and eliminate waste
• Follows and applies standard work and work instructions
• Identify areas for improvement within current training curriculum.
• Research, spreadsheet development and maintenance as needed.
• Administrative tasks, other projects as assigned.
• Occasional cross-departmental training and project work with other interns.
• Potential for minimal/ limited overnight travel for meetings or training.
This position assumes responsibility for the workplace safety of self and co-workers, and for the safety conditions of the work location, exercises and promotes safe behaviors and shows unyielding support of programs, rules and policies regarding safety.
• Full-time student in good standing actively pursuing a degree at an accredited college or university.
• Degree work towards a Bachelor’s Degree in a business, supply chain, operations or related field is required.
• Ability to work a minimum of 350 hours during internship.
• Effective professional verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
• Ability to adapt to a fast-paced, challenging work environment.
• Excellent Microsoft Office skills especially in Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities.
• Minimal overnight travel may be required ability to independently travel without restriction by all modes of transportation, including car, plane or train to attend meetings and training as needed.
Dot Foods is an equal opportunity employer