Job Title: Garage Technician Level II
Department: Dot Transportation, Inc (DTI),
Location: Chicago (University Park), IL facility
Schedule: To be determined
· DTI Leadership
· Executes work under direction or established procedures 85% of the time, works independently setting priorities and work schedule 15% of the time.
· Does not supervise others.
Safe and efficient repair and maintenance of truck and trailer equipment.
· Maintains proficiency in the diagnosis and repair of all company equipment.
· Performs preventative maintenance, troubleshooting, repairs, and modifications on company equipment.
· Maintains proficiency in all aspects of preventative maintenance for company equipment.
· Tests, repairs, and/or replaces electrical and lighting systems.
· Repairs and overhauls brake systems.
· Repairs and inspects HVAC systems on tractors.
· Interacts with customers, vendors, and other employees regarding vehicle repairs and other shop business.
· Completes required paperwork including vehicle write-ups, work orders, and time cards.
· Assists in compiling and maintaining all documents necessary to comply with the requirements of local, state, and federal regulatory agencies.
· Applies lean tools and thinking to identify and eliminate waste
· Follows and applies standard work and work instructions
· Extensive standing and/or walking on concrete.
· Temperature extremes (summer and winter conditions) working in both indoor and occasionally outdoor weather conditions as required to maintain trucks and associated equipment.
· On-call rotation duty for emergency breakdowns.
This position assumes responsibility for the workplace safety of self and co-workers, and for the safety conditions of the work location.
· High School Diploma or general equivalency degree required.
· Must meet minimum requirements on pre-employment testing, including a physical.
· Must maintain a clean, safe work area in compliance with corporate and Occupational Safety and Health Administration standards.
· Must maintain awareness and compliance with all current local, state, and federal regulations such as all regulations governing the handling and disposal of hazardous waste.
· Must perform all work in accordance to requirements of the Environmental Protection Agency.
· Must meet Department of Transportation safety-sensitive position requirements.
· Must obtain brake inspection certification.
· Must have a minimum of 2 years truck maintenance experience or technical school graduate.
· Must obtain a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) within 6 months of acquiring position
· Welding skills preferred
· Ability to lift over 75 lbs. as needed and required.
· Sufficient vision and hearing necessary to operate powered equipment safely.